We all love working on Windows XP, don’t we? It’s been a long time since the release of Windows XP but do we all know our dear operating system completely? If not, then this list compiled by me would surely help you and if it does then don’t forget to inform me about that:
1. Windows can delete files directly even without moving it to Recycle Bin first. Open Command Prompt (windows key + R), type ‘gpedit.msc’ without quotes and then select User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Explorer to locate a setting of “Do not move deleted files to the Recycle Bin”.
2. Windows permits you to run an application on a different user even without logging out. Right click on the icon, select Run as… and then type in the user name and its password. The application will start running in the background.
3. You can make Internet Explorer delete all temporary files automatically. Open the browser, select Advanced in Internet Options; now inside security area, tick the option of Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed.
4. If you love to work on DOS, then also XP has some new commands for you. When you type ‘typeperf’ it will monitor performance of various subsystems, ‘schtasks’ will handle scheduled tasks, ‘eventcreate’ and ‘eventtriggers’ for creating and watching system events.
5. You can rename several files at once with same name but they will be distinguished by a number inside a square bracket. Select all files and right click to rename them together.
6. I know you must be knowing that pressing Windows key + Tab key toggles between opened applications, but do you know that Windows key + Break key opens up System Properties Dialogue Box?
7. If you don’t like getting balloon tips from XP like auto updates etc then you can easily disable the tips. Open up Command Prompt, type regedit to open Registry Editor, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/Advanced and then create a DWORD value called EnableBalloonTips with a value of 0.