Getting bored with the same old usual windows 7 logon screen display? Each one of us wants our working platforms to be attractive, isn’t it? Windows 7, the latest version of windows, allows you to change your logon screen appearance without any tool. You can just edit your registry to get it done.
Usually in the previous versions of windows (XP, Vista) you were required to install a tool to make changes whereas Customizing Windows 7 is much easier when compared to earlier versions by doing some Registry hacks and this article will tell you to how to change appearance of logon screen by using these hacks.
Steps to Change Windows 7 Logon Screen:
1. Press Windows Key + R to launch Run. Type REGEDIT and press enter.
2. Now navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background
3. Change value of OEM Background to 1.
4. Now move to C:\Windows\System32\oobe, create folder “info”, double click it and create another new folder “backgrounds” (as seen below).
5. Now place your desired picture inside logon file into C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds. In my Windows 7 machine, I used Alienware themes so I got Windows 7 Logon Screen changed with Alienware picture.
6. Rename the file to backgrounddefault.jpg. (Please NOTE: Images must be less than 256kb in size).
7. Press Windows Key + L to view your customized Logon Screen else reboot your Windows 7 to apply changes.
And the mission accomplished.
Finally you can now get rid off from that old boring screen and customize your screen to cool funky look. Though there are softwares like 7 Logon Changer, Tweaks.com Logon Change, etc. which allows you to do the same function but according to me this method of using Registry hack is easier and simpler way to change your Windows 7 Logon screen.