The way in which the files are arranged, named and organized is known as file system. The same system is used on removable drives and storage devices to maintain the location of drives. Some file System allows multiple programs to update data in the same file at same time. FAT32 (File Allocation Table) and NTFS (New Technology File System) are the types of Disk file System.
FAT32 was previously used in DOS and windows98. Windows XP introduced NTFS which is widely used as NTFS and has several improvements over FAT and HPFS (High Performance File System) such as improved support for metadata and the use of advanced data structures for improved performance, reliability, and disk space utilization, plus additional extensions as it provides high security.
Steps to convert FAT32 to NTFS:
• Choose the drive which you want to convert.
• Then press start go to run and type ‘cmd’
• You will see a Command Prompt window, type “convert <drive> /fs:ntfs” without double quotes and press ENTER key. Type the alphabet of the drive you want to convert at the place of <drive>.
• For some more parameters you can type “convert /?” and the command prompt will show you the following
Note: If you are trying to convert a partition in which your windows are installed you will get an error message saying that it cannot convert now as the drive is in use and the conversion will be done only next time the computer is restarted.
• It will ask you for confirmation. Press “Y“. This happens because the drive you are converting is utilized by windows operating system.
By this you can convert your FAT32 file system to NTFS and enjoy the benefits of NTFS over FAT32. We advise you to take care while typing commands as the changes made can affect your system.