It has been a long time since I started writing about iPhone tricks but I just realized that I didn’t mention steps to create iPhone Ringtones for free.
Here is how to create free and custom iPhone Ringtones:
1. Choose your favorite song and import it into the iTunes library.
2. Now we need to crop that part of the song that should be the ringtone. To do this either you can cut the song in the default Windows Movie Maker or use iTunes library just remember that the maximum length of the ringtone can be 40 seconds.
If you want to do this from iTunes then Right click on the song in iTunes library, click on Get Info. Now in the Options tab, enter the start and stop time of the ringtone song, click OK.
3. The song has been trimmed now, right click on it and click “Create AAC version”.
4. You will see a new .m4a file saved in My Music-> iTunes Music folder (by default). To see the file extensions, you may need to enable the “view extension” option in Folder Options.
5. Rename the file from .m4a to .m4r and delete the audio file from the iTunes library (this is important).
6. After you have deleted the song, just double click the m4r ringtone file in My Music and it will get listed automatically in the Ringtones folder inside iTunes.
See the following Video Tutorial to learn step by step
So just sync the phone and get the ringtone on your iPhone.