Some of our viewers wanted to know how they can solve the problem of USB Drives like Pen Drives not getting detected in the computer. This is a common problem nowadays and is a nuisance in case of need.
This problem can be of two types as listed below, so just figure it out and apply the correct fix:
Problem 1: Pen Drive does not get detected at all.
Problem 2: Pen Drive gets detected but doesn’t show up in the My Computer.
Let’s see the possible solutions to these problems:
Fix to Problem 1:
• First of all check if the pen drive is working all fine by plugging it in some other PC. If it works well there then it means that the drive is not faulty.
• Then run “devmgmt.msc” in cmd and click on the plus sign before “Universal Serial Bus Controllers” and update the drivers by uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.
• But if the Pen Drive comes up faulty then just get it replaced.
Fix to Problem 2:
This problem is caused when Windows fails to assign a new drive letter to the Portable Drive inserted for the first time.
• Open Run, type “compmgmt.msc” and hit enter.
• Now click “Disk Management” on the left side.
• On the right side, right click on your USB Drive that appears in the disk management window and click change drive letter and paths.
• Assign a new drive letter to the USB Drive which is not assigned to any other drive.
• Now the Pen Drive will get displayed in My Computer.
This fix can also useful for people who just wish to change the drive letter of their USB Drive.