The problem was faced by one our readers who was troubled with the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer that whenever he opened a picture file like .jpg, .bmp or .png image there comes an error message saying
Error loading c:\windows\system32\shimgvw.dll
Invalid access to memory location
Steps to fix the problem:
1. Locate the shimgvw.dll file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ folder and rename it to old_shimgvw.dll or something similar and move it to another folder.
2. Then we need to place the new file there, either download it from here or use the XP CD.
3. If copying from XP CD then make use of this command (type the command in cmd), EXPAND X:\i386\SHIMGVW.DL_ %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\SHIMGVW.DLL where X is the CD Drive letter.
4. When the file has been copied; place the file in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ folder.
5. Now we need to register the fresh copy once again and the command for that is (enter the command in the Run box)
regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll
If the dialog saying “DllRegisterServer in SHIMGVW.DLL succeeded” comes up, that means the problem is fixed.