Disk Management which is the standard utility present in our computers is used for managing the hard drives and its space. This is a great and simple utility to use as it helps in easy creation, deletion or renaming of the disk partition.
But it was the following problem which one of our readers faced while creating a new partition. So if you are also unable to access a new volume that you just created and are seeing this error message then this post will help you.
“The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management Console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer.”
Moreover if you try to follow the instructions as mentioned in the message like restarting the device management or the computer, you will find that nothing works. So what you need to do here is re-install the volume. Here are the steps:
1. Open the Device Manager first, type devmgmt.msc in the Run box to open.
2. Now you need to open the Storage Volumes tree there as shown below. If you can’t see the Storage Volumes then go to View and select the Show Hidden Devices.
3. Under Storage Volumes, you should notice a volume listed as “Unknown device.” Right click on this device and choose “Uninstall.” When asked to confirm, choose OK.
4. If you are asked to restart the computer, go ahead and if not then go to Action -> Scan for Hardware Changes.
5. Once the scan is complete and installation of the volume completes, you will be able to access the volume.
Note: If the power loss occurs within a few seconds of volume creation, in rare circumstances you may be prompted to format the volume after you follow the above steps. If this occurs, the file system configuration was not written by the time the power loss occurred. You may need to reformat or recreate the volume.
For more information and to use the automatic tool to fix this problem visit MS site.