This was the error message faced by one of our readers that when he boots the PC up, the CSRCS.exe error message comes up on the screen.
csrsc.exe is a process which is registered as W32.Spybot.CF Virus. DO NOT confuse it with csrss.exe which is an important file used by Windows. The attackers of this virus can access our computer and gain access to some important data remotely.
Steps to remove this virus:
1. Scan the system with a good and updated Anti Virus.
2. Open Task Manager, locate this exe (csrcs.exe or csrsc.exe but not csrss.exe), and kill the process.
3. Now type msconfig in the Run box, and then go to startup tab.
4. Locate this exe file, if any, and then remove it from there as well.
5. Now search the file in the C: drive.
6. Permanently delete the file (csrcs.exe or csrsc.exe only) from the computer.
7. Reboot the PC for changes to take place.
After doing the above steps, you need to clean the registry as well.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
- On the right side, there is a key named “Shell”, it may be having a value “explorer.exe csrcs.exe”. Just modify it to delete the csrcs.exe from it (not explorer.exe). Restart the computer
The virus should have gone.